National Eating Disorder Awareness Week is concluding, and there have been several observances happening here in Phoenix in recognition. Hopefully, this is one of the reasons why you’re looking into getting help for you or someone you care about.
But if you’re like most people, you are not exactly sure what “getting help” involves. Recovery and healing from an eating disorder involves several steps –
- The Intake: Determining the type and severity of your eating disorder – This is where you speak with a specialist and your current circumstances are evaluated. Knowing your starting point is essential for a successful journey of recovery. Based upon this information your individualized treatment plan will be created.
- Treatment and help for any immediate health concerns attributable to your eating disorder – Eating disorders can be hazardous to your health – even fatal. Medical personnel will evaluate your current health status and make sure that you are physically safe and healthy before counseling or therapy begins.
- Education about different types of help for specific eating disorders– group therapy versus individual counseling–Knowledge is the greatest weapon you have your battle against this illness, so you will be educated about why you might be feeling and acting the way you are.
Group therapy will allow you to draw strength and inspiration from others facing your same issues, and then individual counseling will focus upon your specific situation.
- Addressing any co-occurring disorders– Eating disorders are often caused by – and can cause – other medical conditions such as anxiety, depression, PTSD, or bipolar disorder. For a successful recovery, any conditions that are present must also be treated at the same time.
- Ongoing aftercare – After you “graduate” from your recovery program, whether residential or outpatient, it will still be necessary to receive periodic “adjustments” to your state of well-being. This can be done with regularly-scheduled professional counseling, ideally with the same program that helped you during early recovery.
More About the Process of Eating Disorder Treatment in Arizona
Everyone’s personal journey of recovery from an eating disorder will be, by nature, unique unto them. What is most important is that you find a program and a team of specialists that you feel comfortable with, so you can start regaining your physical and emotional health TODAY.
The perfect time to recover from an eating disorder is always RIGHT NOW. If you or someone you love are battling with a negative body image that is creating and unhealthy relationship with food, contact the experienced, caring professionals at Empowerment Treatment & Counseling.
Empowerment Treatment & Counseling has the resources to give you the support you need today and the life skills you need tomorrow. If you live in the Phoenix area, contact us today, so we can help you regain control and restore health to your life.